Tuesday, October 22, 2013

It's a Special Day....

And I'm not trying to do the whole inspirational, "seize each day, because each day is beautiful in its own way!" thing, today. Although I still believe that's true, today is super special, because one year ago today, my sweet second cousin Charlotte was born.

Snapshots of my times with Charlotte in her first year! 
Snapshots of my times with Charlotte in her first year!

Charlotte's mama, Jana, and I have always had a special bond. My brother and I are a good bit younger than the rest of our cousins on my dad's side of the fam, who all live north of the Mason-Dixon line (I'm not sure I could last through one of those frigid northern winters!). No matter our differences, Jana always devoted her spring breaks in grade school visiting her baby cousins in SC.

Lookin' good!  
Lookin' good! One of the many things Jana was never "too cool" to do: play dress up with her baby cousin!

Even though I only saw her a couple times a year, for a week at a time, she was certainly the closest thing I had to a sister growing up. She was, and still is, an incredible role model, showing me what it looks like to be a smart, strong, funny, sassy, and beautiful person, who can be independent but still thrive in a relationship, like the one she has with her husband Brian. A year ago today, she added a new role to her already-long list of titles (wife, daughter, sister, cousin, friend, assistant-dean): Mom.
Jana and me last December at Detroit's Eastern Market!
Jana and me last December at Detroit's Eastern Market!

Jana and Brian's daughter Charlotte Sue is the cutest baby, hands down. She has bright, blue eyes, the complexion and round cheeks of a China-doll, and the smile of an angel! Now, yes, I may be a bit biased, but even as an outsider, I know I'd still think she was so precious. In the past year, I've seen Charlotte go from just laying around, hanging out, to sitting up and babbling, to crawling and pointing... It's amazing how much a baby can change in a year, and it's seriously crazy how much said baby can change lives in a year! I cannot wait to see Charlotte grow up even more in the years to come, and I hope I can be there for her as much as her mom was there for me growing up.

31 days of girl growing up

No comments:

Post a Comment