Thursday, April 4, 2013

Someone's Over the Hill.....

Dear Dad,

That's right! I'm callin' you out, because it's a special birthday! Happy 50th! It’s amazing to me that you’re fifty and have already accomplished so much in your life. Graduating from Purdue, a long career at one company who wouldn’t be what they are today without you (seriously, I can’t be exaggerating on that one!), supporting two kids and wife who all love you lots, had your question published in “Ask Marilyn” in the Parade magazine, and even shot a hole in one… I’d say you’ve been pretty productive the past half a century!

Image 
Our two month visit to see you in Germany when you had to work there for four months in 1997. For some reason I'm not thinking it was your idea for Corey and me to match like that... (I'm lookin' at you Mom!)

You have been such a good role model for Corey and me. I’m amazed by your strong, never-failing work ethic and sense of moral obligation, not only to our family, but also to the church and charitable organizations.

Image 
A loving glance between man's best friend, Bess, and Dad.

I love how smart and funny you are, and I love seeing the comic strips you tape on Corey’s (used to be mine, too!) bathroom door. I think part (okay, most) of my grammar-nazi-ness and smart-aleck-ness is from you, although I can’t decide if that’s a good thing or a bad thing ;) I wish I could do Sudokos like you do, load the dishwasher as efficiently as you do, or even just complete the Wuzzles and Jumbles as quickly as you do in the newspaper.


Image 
Our second (and last) Parents Weekend at Wofford together!

I know I don’t always voice it like I should, but I am so grateful for everything you have done for our family, and more specifically, for me. As cliché as it sounds, I know you’ve made so many sacrifices for us, and I don’t think there is anything I will be able to do to show you how much that means to me. Thank you for always believing in me, even when most people would not have seen my potential. (Wow, I seriously hate how cheesy the truth sounds.) Thank you for giving me the best advice throughout life, and thank you for your unconditional love. Here’s to another half a century of the wonderfulness that is you! Happy birthday, Dad! I wish I could be there to celebrate, because I love you lots!

Image 
Obviously, I was Daddy's little girl...

Song of the blog: “Happy Birthday” (duh.)

Lyrics of the song: Well, you know how it goes… Don’t forget the obnoxious “cha cha cha’s!” in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment