Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Ask Me Again!

Remember that time I asked if you'd ever overcommitted to something?

My answer was yes, thanks to the Cooper River Bridge Run.

Remember that time if I asked if you'd ever run 6.2 miles straight?

My answer was no. But now it's yes, thanks to the Cooper River Bridge Run. 

cooper river bridge run time 1 
My stats. Not bad, for my first official race ever!

That's right, folks! This girl ran the whole 10k without stopping to walk or anything! I was ecstatic when I crossed the finish line; I couldn't wait to find John to tell him I did it! I was even more excited when I realized John and I both reached our separate goals! John wanted to finish under an hour, which he did with a minute to spare, and I wanted to finish under an hour and fifteen minutes. I knew this would give me a few minutes to walk if I needed to, but I really wanted to finish without taking a break.

cooper 
We did it!

Seriously guys, I have a whole new respect for people who do halves and full marathons. I know a 10k is only a portion of the really big runs, and I'm only a silly little beginner in the running world, but I can attest to the fact that even six (point two, I can't forget those last few strides!) miles can seem daunting. Especially since the furthest I had run before the race was a 5k... That's only half the distance I ran on Saturday morning! The next time I run a 10k, I will definitely make sure I'm more prepared. I think the happiness and pride I felt after I finished my run will give me an incentive to lace up those tennis shoes and get going!



cooper 2 
Sadly, these two pictures after the race are the only ones we got... But hey, at least we have proof!

Notice I said "the next time" in that sentence above... Yes, there will definitely be a next time! I'm actually hoping I can get my brother to run with us, because he didn't seem too impressed with our finish times. In fact, he told me that if he had run the race, I'd have been looking at the back of his head...Ha! If you're reading this, Corey (fat chance), bring it on! :)

If you want a full recap of the race, keep an eye out; I plan on posting the details of my experience with the Cooper River Bridge Run a little later, once the powers-that-be put all the official pictures on their site.

Song of the blog: "We Are the Champions" by Queen (not only is this fitting for the theme, but also, I heard this on the radio on the way to class today!)

Lyrics of the song: "We are the champions, my friiiiiiends..."

No comments:

Post a Comment