Friday, June 13, 2014

Five on Friday the Thirteenth

Happy Friday, y'all! It's been a while since I've linked up with Christina, April, Natasha, and Darci (before two of them were mamas to precious little girls!) so let's see if I remember how to do this...

1. Full-mooned Friday the thirteenth. 
Today someone on the radio said it was the first Friday the 13th with a full moon since the 1920s or something, but I looked it up and apparently the last one happened in 2000. HOWEVER, that's still a pretty long time (can you believe 2000 was 14 years ago?!), and the next time this happens will be 2049 (according to people who calculate this kind of super important stuff). Let's just hope nothing cRaZy happens! 

2. Nannying Fun. 
I am so excited to be back to some sort of schedule! Seriously, I thrive when I'm busy, and it's a lot easier to stay busy when you have to be at a certain place at a certain time or else you don't get paid the girls you watch are unsupervised! All kidding aside, I do love the twins I watch. This is my second year with them, and they're going to be big, bad middle-schoolers next year! It's so cute to hear them say things like, "I don't wanna go to middle school... I'm embarrassed to change in the locker room for gym!" It's been a while since those days, so it's been fun to go back and remember all the good times I had when I was eleven! 

3. Nannying Fails. 
Like I said, I've been having a blast with the girls. However, it's not all walks to the park and watching card tricks (one of the girls learned a couple on Youtube, and no lie, I was impressed). When I started last week, the girls had just taken a puzzle out of the box. A 2,000 piece puzzle. Before I'd arrived, they'd already taken the whole puzzle out and flipped all the pieces over on the table. Mind you, the table is relatively small compared to 2,000 puzzles pieces, and it was impossible to lay all of the pieces out flat on the table and really get anywhere. I suggested we start with finding the edge pieces, but the girls politely turned me down. People, it is darn near IMPOSSIBLE to complete a 2,000 piece puzzle without having the edge pieces as a frame. For the first few days, I left it alone, because eleven year olds should have the opportunity to make their own decisions and figure it out themselves and I know it probably took a while to turn over 2,000 puzzle pieces, BUT I'm impatient. After pleading my case to the girls ("You guys haven't touched it since last week because it's too difficult to work on in this state"), they gave me the enthusiastic go-ahead (AKA "I guess...") and since then, we (cough, I, cough) have made great strides with the puzzle!  

The current bane of my existence...

4. Faux Calligraphy.
So. When the girls are playing on their computers, I have time to kill, so naturally, I've taken an interest in typography and calligraphy. I realize this is probably incredibly dorky, but I've always had an affinity for paper goods and stationary. I appreciate pretty paper, nice planners, and good pens. (Side note: I recently stumbled into Paper Twist in Charlotte, and I fell head over heels in love with the place.) However, I've never had great handwriting. Sure, I have "teacher" handwriting when I am trying, but I can't do any of the fancy and cute styles naturally. My goal is to learn how to at least fake calligraphy, if not learn the real thing, over the summer so I can write on labels and envelopes with pride! These fonts are a few that inspired me:  

I especially love Sweet Love and Good Friends. 

5. Cake Wrecks. 
I don't know why, but for some reason, I rediscovered my love for the blog Cake Wrecks. Back in high school, this was one of my favorite blogs to stalk, because it always made me laugh, and it turns out it hasn't lost a bit of its humor! The site caters to the cake lover and grammar nazi in me, and if you have a funny bone at all, you'll appreciate it too. 

Since Father's Day is coming up... Enjoy the special weekend with your family! 
 photo blogsigpng_zpscb1d9054.png

3 comments:

  1. I was so excited about the full moon tonight, but unfortunately it's too cloudy to see it here :( I think it's really cool you're trying to learn calligraphy, or at least fake it. I've always wanted to be able to do that!
    http://thetallblondeblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Work was crazy on Friday night - and I blame the 13th and the full moon!! Happy Sunday :)

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete