Tuesday, December 3, 2013

decking the halls...

I would ask if I could go back to Thanksgiving break, but Christmas break is only eight days away, and everyone knows Christmas break is 800 billion times better!

Why? For starters, more free time with family, then there's the whole no homework or projects or pesky finals looming over your head, and the very best part: everyone is in the Christmas spirit!

By Christmas break I'll be D-O-N-E with all of my portfolios I worked on over Thanksgiving break!

As soon as I walked in the door this past week, I noticed how jolly and festive my mom had the house looking already. Usually, she waits until after Thanksgiving to put up the Christmas decor, but she said she wanted as much time with us as possible when we were actually home so she did it ahead of time! She's the sweetest!

One thing she obviously couldn't decorate without us was the Christmas tree! Nothing makes me more jolly than Christmas music blaring while I'm stringing popcorn and cranberries with my family, which has been a family tradition for a while now.

Surprisingly enough, Corey has never been a huge fan of stringing popcorn and cranberries... (Thankfully a Redwings game made it a little more bearable!)


Candles, popcorn, cranberries... It doesn't get much cozier than this! 

My Uncle Mike (whom I'm running a half marathon in memory of) actually started this tradition with us; he encouraged and helped my mom to do it one year, and I'll always think of him when I look at the beautiful, homemade garland on our tree.

Ta-da! Isn't it marvelous?! 

Yeah, I know, it's a little lot cramped. My mom and I were remarking that it is definitely past time for a new, bigger tree! We (cough, my mom and I, cough) all just have so many ornaments we want to display, and the back of the tree doesn't get any love, so the front just ends up looking crazy cramped! 

As much as I love all the matching, gorgeous trees I see, our whimsical tree filled with meaningful ornaments has such a special place in my heart. I mean, come on. What other Christmas tree has Cartman from South Park sandwiched between a pair of stain-glass ballet slippers and a homemade ornament (I was so proud of that in the third grade!)?! 

I can barely contain my excitement that I get to go back to all that yule-tide joy in just one short week! Good luck to all my fellow college students out there during finals week! Don't let the hype of it get you down (it's completely overrated)! We can do it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment