Tuesday, May 14, 2013

When the Dog Bites, When the Bee Stings...

When I'm feeling sad, I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feeeeel so bad! Yes, I am quoting the "Sound of Music" and no, I do not feel ashamed of my intense love for all things musical theater.



My passion for theater did not make my list for today's challenge topic, which is "ten things that make you really happy". How easy is that?! For someone like me, it starts out super easy... And then gets super hard narrowing down the list. I decided to be technical about it, so no people or places. (Just know that my family and friends and Disney World would all totally make the list.)


I love my family (and John and Corey's girlfriend, Morgan!), but sorry guys! You're people, not things!
I love my family (and John, and Corey's girlfriend, Morgan!), but sorry guys! You're people, not things!


Without further ado, here are ten things, in no particular order, that make my heart sing:

1. That post-workout sweaty feeling of accomplishment. I've been trying to get that feeling in a lot since school has been out, because I might as well use my time wisely! My neighborhood and the surrounding neighborhoods are extremely hilly, which means my runs are challenging for me. Four miles running the flat dikes at Clemson with a gorgeous sunset? No problem (okay, sometimes a problem, I'm not a pro runner). Four miles up and down steep-ish slopes? Cue the almost-asthmatic breathing. Totally worth it! I have also been getting into some at home circuits to do, and I plan on posting them later!

Whew! I may be looking rough, but John and I were feeling pretty good after our first 10k!  
Whew! I may be looking rough, but John and I were feeling pretty good after our first 10k!

2. My friend Laura's new haircut. My freshman year at Wofford, my across-the-hall-neighbor Laura and I became good friends; she and I were in the same sorority and she was the most refreshing combination of funny, crazy, and smart. She also happened to be beautiful.... But until she chopped off 18 inches of her hair, she wasn't so sure about that. Yesterday she posted a picture after her courageous chop, and wow, does she pull off that short and sassy 'do like no one else could! She captioned the picture explaining how she finally accepted her beauty, and I could not stop gushing about it to John. Oops! I guess I just really admire that kind of gutsiness, and it makes me especially happy since it's my friend.

So proud of this gorgeous- inside and out- girl! 
So proud of this gorgeous- inside and out- girl!

3. My birfday coming up soon! Oooh, or birthdays in general! Okay, holidays in general! Like that feeling you get Christmas morning when you're filled up with joy! Yay!

My birthday almost a year ago!  
My birthday almost a year ago!

4. When that song you love comes on the radio unexpectedly. You know, when it's been a while? My dad mentioned that one when I told him the challenge topic today. Thats the best feeling. I love to turn up the volume and roll my windows down when I hear "You Belong With Me" by Taylor Swift while I'm in the car. That's the best!

Okay, so it wasn't exactly a surprise to hear Taylor's hits at her concert... But that made me pretty happy too!  
Okay, so it wasn't exactly a surprise to hear Taylor's hits at her concert... But that made me pretty happy too!

5. The feeling you get after an intense spring cleaning sesh. I adore the feeling I get when I've done, like, three loads of laundry, ironed, and reorganized my closet... Right after I've hand-washed every dish I own and cleaned my bathroom from tile to ceiling! Whew! Now that is satisfying! When I got home from school last week, my mom and I did some serious cleaning in my bedroom. I have two dormers (little closet/attics), a walk-in closet, and a bunch of old junk! Thankfully I'm not too much of a hoarder, and I said good-bye to a lot of clothes and items!

6. Snuggling in freshly laundered sheets! Mmm! 'Nuff said!

7. Warm- sunny- clear-sky kind of days, like today! It was a perfect day for John and me to go zip-lining! John is Mr. Groupon, and he found a deal for us to go to The Beanstalk Journey in Morganton, NC. I don't think I would like living out in the boonies of western North Carolina, but I loved visiting! We had a great time, and John was impressed with how fearless I seemed, probably because he's used to my usually fearful self!

Before our adventure in the beautiful outdoors!  
Before our adventure in the beautiful outdoors!

8. Hearing people's love stories- especially if those stories include proposals, because I am so cheesy. If those proposals include pictures? I'm done! I know, I'm a sucker. I promise I'm not overly sappy or romantic! Happy endings are just the best, in my opinion!

9. Mornings when you wake up early and spring out of bed with ease. It's fabulous getting your day started and make the most of it, which is easier to do when you have more time!

10. Free stuff! Everybody loves free stuff, and although my beloved fourth grade teacher taught us that there's no such thing as a free lunch, I would like to think otherwise! Sometimes free stuff is no good, but sometimes, you register your birthday with Vera Bradley and they give you a card in the mail during your birthday month. Not just any card, though: a card with $20 on it! Seriously, the birthday card is good for twenty dollars on your purchase of twenty dollars or more! I decided to use mine on this super nice beach towel! I only paid a fraction of the cost! Score!
Screen shot 2013-05-14 at 8.57.07 PM 
Can't wait to lounge on this bargain!

So here's to the little things; may y'all find the happiness in every day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment