Friday, May 10, 2013

The Great Gatsby Lived up to its Name

Last night, Blair, Ben, John, and I continued the fun we had at the pool, and we went to the premiere showing of The Great Gatsby. I haven't read the book since my senior year of high school, but it's obviously a classic so we were curious to see if the highly anticipated movie would do F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel justice.

It did. I'm not really a "cinematography expert" or even a "movie buff", so I don't know the right terms for saying that the way it was filmed was breathtaking. I do know that watching the movie was not hard on the eyes, and the colors were vivid. You felt like you were whisked back into the roaring '20s. The film makers stayed true to the story and incorporated a lot of the actual dialogue from the book.


Image 
At least I did last night!

My one complaint? I thought the music was not fitting, and I wasn't surprised. As cool as Jay-Z is, and as much as I appreciate the actual music used (I mean, Beyonce singing Amy Winehouse? Yes please!), it didn't fit. When a group of dapper-looking men and floozy -flappers are having a party, I don't expect them to be grinding to Kanye West (which actually did occur for a brief moment). If you're an avid movie-goer, or like the book The Great Gatsby (which as a nerdy AP English student, I did, although its ending obviously frustrated me and left me a little unsettled, if you've read/seen it), the blaring music can and should be overlooked. Get your tickets soon (or don't, I'm sure it will be out for a while, and then you can get a seat without someone sitting right in front of you, and you can use that seat as a foot-rest...)!

Okay, so I still have to do my blog-a-day challenge topic: "Most embarrassing moment (s). Spill."





Ugh. When I was a wee young lass, I got embarrassed over, well, pretty much everything. I was so overly sensitive, my mom said that when Arthur (the aardvark, from the TV show) got embarrassed, I would leave the room. Yeah. So, I try to shove embarrassing memories to the back of my head.... However, I would say that my last trip to the ER was pretty embarrassing.

Let me preface this story by saying I used to be a good ice skater, in, like, middle school. Okay, John and I were ice skating on an outdoor rink over Christmas break, and it was a magical little set up- until I fell. I lost my balance, fell back, apparently hit my head, tried to break my fall with my wrists, and after attempting to stand up, passed out. Thankfully, John was able to break my second fall (while giving me a huge bruise with his death-grip-hand holding my arm up), but at this point, a lot of people had gathered. The ice rink was shut down for a while, as everyone watched and waited for an ambulance to pick me up. What a humiliating night... At least it wasn't our first date!

Image 
Sorry for the yucky picture quality, but John's Instagram shot is the only one we have before the embarrassment began that night....

Song of the blog: "Dead Giveaway" the autotuned interview with Charles Ramsey (the man who helped rescue Amanda Berry), that you can watch here.
Lyrics of the Song: "Deaaaad giveaway..."

No comments:

Post a Comment